Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Merrell Adventure Run 2013: My first trail run

Exactly a week after my Mt. Pulag trek, I conquered again another mountain -- only this time, I ran.

It was for the Merrell Adventure Run 2013 -- my first trail run. By definition, trail running is:

"a sport which consists of running and hiking over trails. It differs from road running and track running in that it generally takes place on hiking trails, often in mountainous terrain, where there can be much larger ascends and descends." 
Since I started joining (fun) runs in January, I've been actively scouting for runs to join. In keeping with my "one-run-a-month" challenge, I was browsing online for my April run. I wanted something different and more challenging since April is also my birth month. Luckily, a friend introduced us to the Merrell Adventure Run. Kuya Nonoy is an accomplished athlete and runs his own blog called "trails unlimited". He did a test run on the trail and recommended that we register for the run. He can be very convincing, mind you! And so, last April 6, my friend Gina (also a trail run rookie) decided to take on the challenge and registered at the Merrell branch in Trinoma.



The Merrell run was scheduled for April 27 -- precisely a week after our previously scheduled Mt. Pulag hike. Right after signing up for the trail run, I had sudden apprehensions. Was I ready for it? What did I get myself into? Two mountains in a week? Backing out wasn't really an option at this point since we've already registered. The slots aren't transferrable, and I wasn't going to waste the PhP 650 registration fee.

Fast forward


Two weeks after our trail run and I must say, I'm glad I did it.

It wasn't easy... but so are most of the best things in life. Ang pinakamasasarap na karanasan sa buhay ay yung pinaghihirapan. The harder they are to accomplish, the greater the fulfillment and sense of accomplishment.

Upon reaching the summit, I was both relieved and very proud of myself. I finished 346th out of 476 runners. Not very impressive, but not an easy feat either. Not bad for my first trail run.



Got my name spelled wrong. :(

I ran 5k, but was told that the effort of running trails are actually double that of road runs, so it was like running 10k on a level running field.

I also fell instantly in love with the beautiful Mt. Sinai in San Mateo, Rizal. If I get another chance, I would definitely sign up for another trail run. I'd probably stick to 5k, though. Haha!

I thank God for the opportunity and the strength to climb and run mountains! :)


Runners going up the starting line


Gunstart at 6:00 am






Beautiful backdrop of Mt. Sinai

With my gal pal Gina. 



We did it!


It wasn't called Mt. Sinai for nothing. At the summit , you'll find  a shrine of the 10 commandments. 

In order of dirtiness: mine, Gina's and Ate Karen's







No comments:

Post a Comment